Five Alternatives to Hold You Over During The NBA Lockout
Published: Wednesday, November 30, 2011
Updated: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 20:11
The NBA managed to do the complete opposite of what the NFL did when the NBA players started their own labor discussions two years ago with their owners. Now that the chance of there being no basketball this season, NBA fans will have to find other avenues to fill the void that basketball has left in their lives. Here are some alternatives to those still grieving over the loss of the NBA season.
1. Watch 49er Basketball NBA fans may not be happy with the fact they won't get to see superstars like Kobe Bryant and Lebron James play this year, but there is a talented crop of younger athletes still playing this year. Our Long Beach State basketball team fell one game short last year of making it to the NCAA March Madness tournament. With the return of four starters off last years team and a solid group of newcomers, the Long Beach State mens basketball team should be a dominate force once again in the Big West Conference this year. Plus, with your student I.D. you can watch these talented players play for free.
2. Play NBA 2K 12 Every year the graphics in sports video games get more and more realistic and it's hard to sometimes tell which one is real. The graphics and gameplay of NBA 2K 12 are the closest thing to watching a game on television a NBA game has ever come. Plus you're in control. Some other cool features are you can play as former NBA greats like Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. Play against your friends both in-person and online to end the debate of who is the best of all time.
3. Start a Pickup Game The NBA lockout may be a blessing in disguise as it should force people who would be sitting at home watching the game to instead go outside and get some exercise. Fill up the time you spend watching the Lakers and instead show your friends you can play like Kobe in pickup games. The Student Wellness and Recreation Center has plenty of courts and basketballs for anybody to start a game. In fact, try to get President King Alexander out for a game, rumor has it he can ball.
4. Go Travel to Europe If you really can't spend a year without seeing your favorite basketball stars, plan a trip to Europe where many players will be heading to play for big money during the lockout. NBA stars like Pau Gasol and Kobe Bryant have been offered big contracts to play just a few games overseas. It may be a good excuse for the Euro-trip you have always been planning, and while your there make sure to take in some of the sights.
5. Watch Hockey or Football Always been just a basketball fan. Well there are plenty of others sports on during the NBA season that you may have never took the time to watch. The hockey season is underway already and you can catch the games on almost every night. If you have enough patience you can watch football on Sundays, it's just as physical sport as basketball and the fantasy leagues are just as fun.